Who I am and what I have to say.
Here are nine key facts about me to orient yourself:
- I live in Oregon, which is on the west coast of the US. I grew up here, on a farm in the woods.
- I have studied a lot of different methodologies and frameworks of mental and emotional healing and personal growth, but I don’t have any kind of certification and I don’t work with clients. I’m motivated by a need to heal my childhood trauma, liberate myself from mental suffering, and a desire to be in a perpetual state of expansion.
- My approach to spirituality is not about belief, it’s about utility. I use astrology because I’ve found it to be startling accurate. I use crystals because I feel a connection with them. I don’t have any explanation as to how either of these could work given our current scientific understanding of the Universe. But I don’t really need to. This could all be a simulation or a dream. I’m reality-agnostic and I use what works.
- I’m a semi-retired web designer and developer. I’ve always worked for myself, as I need a high degree of autonomy in my life. I’ve worked on developing passive income streams as soon as I started working–I really enjoy working but I don’t want to have to work.
- I’m constantly interested in new ideas and making connections between ideas, especially ones that don’t seem related to most people. I seek novelty, which can look like “shiny object syndrome”, but it’s a deep need for me to absorb novel stimuli and make sense of them. The result is that I have a broad and eclectic history of minor and major obsessions with different philosophies, systems, frameworks, hobbies, etc.
- I’m always looking for the best _____ and I like sharing my recommendations.
- In 2014, I married someone who was in prison, and was a prison wife for 7 years. It was an overwhelming, painful, and transformative experience that shattered my understanding of “America” and I’m still making sense of it. He is out now and we are healing and re-orienting.
- I have always been sensitive to suffering, especially feelings of alienation and loneliness and disconnection. I am drawn to the shadows of the mind, the heart, and the world.
- I am very aware of how different I am from other people, no matter where I am or who I am with. Over the years, it’s something I’ve struggled with learning to embrace as an asset and a gift and not a curse.
Here are nine random facts about me for funsies:
- I love stuffed animals and Disney movies. I never fully grew up and don’t plan to.
- I have three cats.
- I eat waaaay too much sugar and I don’t really care. I’ve tried to care, I’ve tried to stop, I have for various periods, and at the moment, I’m just enjoying my ice cream and cookies and jelly beans and trying to fit some vegetables in there sometimes.
- I’m bisexual.
- I’ve always been very smart, but I hated school. I love learning, but not in an institutional setting.
- One summer I rode my bike 1200 miles, from California to Oregon and back. Do not take this to mean I am sporty–I am not. I just wanted to do it. And I was young enough (20) that my body could handle that in a way it definitely couldn’t today!
- In the course of my life I’ve been both vegan and Paleo, which are pretty much polar opposites.
- I feel like I live in the Internet more than I live in my town.
- I hate talking on the phone. Text, in-person, or video is fine, but something about phone calls I just have an aversion to, romantic partners being the only exception.
Nine things I want to write about on this blog:
- Living in a painful world with an open heart.
- How to heal trauma, change dysfunctional patterns and create inner freedom.
- Pursuing a fully alive, awake, awesome life.
- How to fiercely love yourself and become the unique contribution to human consciousness that you were born to be.
- Why humans suck at sharing power and resources and what we can do about it.
- Why the prison industrial complex is supremely fucked up.
- Musings on the nature of reality.
- Anything I find uniquely helpful for living a better life.
- Whatever else I find fascinating and wonderful.
Why the name Joy Ninja?
Because you’ve got to cut through a lot of B.S. to be happy. And not just happy, but truly alive – joyous and free. Cultural B.S., family B.S., mental B.S., emotional B.S.. You’ve got to stay sharp.
I’m an ENFP, 7w8, and my top 5 strengths are Ideation, Strategy, Activation, Futuristic, and Relator. Virgo Sun / Aries Moon / Sag rising, 4 planets in Virgo, Leo North Node.
I try to keep it real here and share things that worked for me. I’m not a self-help guru, I’m just a person who has been trying to figure out her life for awhile.