This hails originally from AA, and was taught to me by my friend Sarah Dopp.
- Who am I resentful toward and why?
- What does this affect in my life?
- Am I willing to show this person the same tolerance, compassion, and patience that I’d give a sick friend?
- What’s my part in this situation? How did I add to it?
- Have I been telling myself that I’m right and they’re wrong?
- Am I using this sense of superiority to gain self-esteem or power?
- Am I doing this because I’m afraid that the “regular” me is not enough?
- They didn’t act right. What values could they have been acting with instead?
- How can I work on strengthening those values in my own life?
- I’m grateful that I have this obstacle to practice on.
I’m not a therapist or a guru, just a fellow seeker who has been there, done that, and wants to share. I firmly believe we can all heal, and its often a winding road to get there. The more we share what works and help each other, the more we can all benefit.
I’m also looking to start a community of trauma-informed personal growth seekers–follow the link if you are interested.
Thanks so much for reading! ~Emma